HMMWV ALUMINUM BATTERY BRACKET AMHS

Moderator: Founder

HMMWV ALUMINUM BATTERY BRACKET AMHS

Postby jamorales17 » 17 May 2019, 07:47

I'm looking for an AMHS safety message regarding HMMWV battery brackets that provided guidance on replacing the battery bracket for a plastic model. No one seems to have the AMHS or can't find it. 2nd Maint GSM have the capability to print the plastic model found on NSIN however, the model is pending approval from higher. There is a replacement NIIN and we have ordered the part, I'm just trying to update my turnover and appropriate desktops. Thank you :)
jamorales17
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Re: HMMWV ALUMINUM BATTERY BRACKET AMHS

Postby SUPERMOD » 21 May 2019, 08:59

this is right up Grandpa's lane... HMMWV and Safety? perfect!
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

"IF YOU DONT LIVE FOR SOMETHING, YOU DIE FOR NOTHING"
SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby jamorales17 » 21 May 2019, 13:28

Do you have that AMHS regarding that, Supermod?
jamorales17
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Postby Grandpa3523 » 24 May 2019, 07:13

Ok, after doing some checking on the pubs website and talking with our maintainers, I have not found anything stating to replace with plastic hold downs from HQMC. As a safety thought, I would change to the plastic version (6160-01-593-1062 for around $65) if replacement is required. I wouldn't change all just to get them done. As a senior maintainer, I also look at cost (aluminum 5340-01-414-0701 for about $13 vs the above Plastic hold down) further, as a safety officer I would like to see all hold downs go to the plastic version. We all know when you put "SAFETY" in the description of an item, it makes the price go up. If the hold down becomes loose for any reason and the batteries shift causing the positive terminal to short out on the hold down which leads to a fire. How much is a new HMMWV? and we can not put a price on the lives of our Brothers and Sisters in these vehicles. Sorry for the long post but I have learned that sometimes you have to "JUSTIFY or SALE" the idea to the person holding the "CHECKBOOK" when it comes to Safety. Also, sometimes I present it in a way that the Checkbook holder feels like they have an option or even better, if you can make them think it was "THEIR" idea.

TACT: The ability to tell someone where to go and they are happy to be on their way!!!
3523/3521/0411 MECHANIC FOR 39+ YEARS RECERTIFIED ASE MASTER/L1
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ
and the American G.I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom."
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!
Grandpa3523
Walking TM
Walking TM

Postby jamorales17 » 24 May 2019, 16:58

Thank you for that, I appreciate the insight and advice. We’re currently fixing those issues at this time.
jamorales17
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Return to Electrical